History of Molesworth-Williams Funeral Home
The Molesworth-Williams, P.A. Funeral Home, one of the oldest existing businesses in Damascus, Maryland, has been providing distinguished funeral services to families of Damascus and surrounding communities since the mid 1800’s. The firm’s origin lies with William T. Lewis Undertaking, in nearby Kemptown, Maryland.
Mr. Lewis operated a small store and built caskets for families when the need arose. After his death the business went dormant. The service was restored in 1915 by his son in law, J. Bromwell Beall at its present location and was re-established under the name of J.B. Beall, Inc., Funeral Home. After Mr. Beall’s death in 1929, his wife Della Beall Burdette (Mr. Lewis’ daughter) continued the business until December, 1948, at which time it was purchased by Mr. Olin L. Molesworth.
William Lewis Undertaking is now Molesworth-Williams P. A. Funeral Home
In 1968, Mr. Robert L. Williams, a graduate of Pittsburgh School of Mortuary Science and cousin of Mr. Molesworth, joined the establishment and continues to run and operate the firm at present.
The building, built in 1910 as a private residence, has undergone renovations to allow it to function as a funeral home. The most recent renovation in 1969 provided for a large, elegant and comfortable gathering and service area. This area combined with the original residence easily accommodates seating for 175 individuals for funeral services.
The gardens and landscaping are very visible upon entering or exiting the home and provide a serene and tranquil environment.
Today, Mr. Williams and his staff are very aware of traditions created by the families they serve. They are also mindful of helping to create new traditions with today’s changing families.